First things first: your uvula is that “bell” in the back of your throat that sometimes moves when you swallow or speak.
Some people’s uvula might be enlarged or elongated, which can cause certain health issues.
Now that you have the basic facts, here are 5 things you need to know about the procedure called Uvuloplasty:
- Uvuloplasty is a procedure aimed to decrease or eliminate snoring and reduce gasping from mild sleep apnea.
- Dr. Pasha’s in-office uvuloplasty is a procedure to re-shape the uvula by removing a portion of it. Dr. Pasha does not remove the uvula, as he believes that the uvula has a very important function in swallowing and speech.
- Dr. Pasha’s uvuloplasty is done under local anesthesia and it is a low risk procedure that is typically completed within 30 minutes.
- After the procedure, a patient usually experiences a sore throat for 7 to 10 days, which will be treated with pain medications and antibiotics.
- Eating after an uvuloplasty procedure should be limited to a soft diet for 5 to 10 days. After that healing period, you’ll be good to go!
Get in touch with our office today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Pasha. He will be able to advice the right treatment for your snoring or sleep apnea.